Thursday, June 21, 2007

Victorian Lamps


Years ago I noticed an advertisement for a class at the local craft shop on how to construct Victorian-style fabric lampshades. I am a pushover for items decorated with lace, silk and roses so I thought it would be interesting to learn how to make some of the elaborate Victorian lamp shades I had seen in antique stores. I selected some cream-colored French batiste semi-sheer fabric and lace with a floral pattern that would make bouquet per shade panel , bought enough 3" silk fringe to adorn the lower edge and headed to the workshop. The instructor taught us how to make our own custom patterns by pressing foil across each of the different Victorian panel shapes that made up the wire frame of the lampshade. Then she demonstrated how to cut the fabric panels leaving about 3/8" border around the shape to give us fabric to wrap and glue around the lamp shade frames.

I had to adapt my design as I covered my frame with the semi-sheer fabric then overlaid the lace on top of that. I was quite pleased with the result and the lamps still adorn my living room. Since then, however, I learned to used the "wrap with bias seam binding and stitch fabric to wrapped frame" method that I much prefer to the glue method. I can stretch the fabric much tighter and get a more professional finish with the stitched method. All of the other lampshades I have made were fashioned using the stitched method and when my married daughter came to visit, I taught her the stitched method as well.

Soon I was haunting flea markets and second-hand stores looking for suitable lamp bases. I prefer figural bases if I can find them although Capo di Monte porcelain lamp bases make exquisite Victorian decor as well. Finding just the right base and creating shades that resemble a delicate Victorian confection is very rewarding. They also make a wonderfully personal and unique wedding gift if the bride admires Victorian design. I created a pair of lamps for my daughter and son-in-law for their wedding that had satin shades adorned with lace and beaded floral motifs that I bought at a wedding shop.

No comments: