Saturday, June 23, 2007

Victorian figurines and miniatures

I have always admired the graceful feminine fashions of the Victorian era so I have been naturally drawn to any figurines I encountered dressed like the men and women of that period. I began by collecting Victorian figurines by Home Design. The Home Design figurines are really nicely detailed and I have found them for $20 or less.

On Ebay, I also found some exquisite Victorian lady Christmas ornaments from Louis Nicole in the $20 range, too. At my local flea market, I happened upon a wonderful set of snow white Victorian children figurines. They were priced at only $25 but I walked on by then returned the next day and they were marked down half price. Even though my display space was at a premium, I couldn't pass them up. I later saw them at a Department 56 store for a lot more than the $12.50 I paid for them! I had similar luck with a beautiful Lenox china figurine. I had previously admired several at an antique store on the coast with price tags of $125 each. Then I saw one in mint condition at the flea market for $50 and talked the vendor down to $35!

The Franklin Mint has produced some wonderful Victorian miniatures. These beautifully detailed miniatures were produced by the mint in 1984.

Each vignette stands about 2 3/4" high and depicts a scene from the upperclass social life from 1898 to 1908 - garden parties, ice skating, attending the opera, the theater, the races, etc. The figurine at the left is entitled "At the Cafe-Concert 1906". I had to bid on them individually on Ebay but managed to acquire them for between $7.95 and $10.95 each.

4 comments:

liz said...

Do you have any idea the value of very old small lead figurines of foxhunters, horses and hounds?

I have several to sell and need to place a value on them.

Thank you for any help.

Liz

Mary Harrsch said...

Sorry to have overlooked your comment Liz. This reply is almost a year too late but I feel I should at least respond. Lead figures can bring a wide range of prices based on age and condition. I always recommend checking Ebay for existing sales. Another good source would be Michigan Toy Soldiers (http://www.michtoy.com). They not only sell miniatures but buy them from estates, etc. I would think your figures would be choice collectibles. Not only are they old but their fox hunting theme makes them appeal to a separate cadre of collectors who focus on English collectibles and especially fox hunting memorabilia.

StephanieM said...

Hi mharrsch,

I have the set of "The Fashionable Parisiennes" and was wondering if you had any idea on how much these are worth. I want to insure them but have no idea how much they are worth. I got these from my grandmother after she passed away.

Stephanie
stephanie.macfarland@gmail.com

Nanakisan said...

Hello. I recently received in a freebies box near my house of some Victorian styled figurines. Have you heard of a company called J&J because i'm trying to learn more about these two figures. they are incredibly beautiful. they are from 1999 some things broken like their free hands.