Thursday, June 21, 2007

My early collecting adventures


One day, I saw an intricately decorated metal plate made in England by Daher. It cost only a few dollars and really brightened up my kitchen. I soon learned Daher metalware was made in a variety of patterns and shapes and, because they were light, I could affix them to my plain birch cabinets with 3M mounting squares without driving nails that would damage the original birch. I had started my first collection. My sister pointed out that since we were of English heritage, the Daher pieces reflected our ancestry. She showed me her collection of English Royal Worcester egg coddlers. I loved the delicate images of birds and flowers and began looking for them as well. I also found beautifully decorated saucers, pitchers, and even fish bone holders bearing the distinctive "Made In England" stamp that were affordable as well.

I have always had a passion for history and historical portraiture. One day I found some beautiful miniature Victorian portraits in ornate frames labeled "Cameo Creations". I bought the pair for less than $20. I soon learned they too were produced in a variety of frames featuring different portrait prints from a host of mostly 18th and 19th century artists. I not only appreciated their beauty but was inspired to learn more about the "great masters" who had produced them.

I also began collecting small dolls and figurines in period dress. Although I couldn't afford Royal Dalton pieces (costing hundreds of dollars), I found nicely detailed pieces from Home Interiors for less than $20 and even a beautiful Lenox figurine for only $35. At an auction I bought a box of Jan Hagara ornaments shaped as Victorian children for only $5 per ornament not even realizing at the time who Jan Hagara was! (No wonder the auctioneer couldn't imagine why I didn't want all three lots.)

When I travel I look for items that remind me of my experiences that I can add to my collections. When I visited Williamsburg, I bought a miniature porcelain fife and drum corps. When I toured the Stronganoff exhibit, "Art of a Russian Nobel family", I found a distinctive Russian doll in 18th century attire for less than $20.

Several years ago I read the Masters of Rome series of novels by Colleen McCullough and became absolutely entranced by ancient Rome and the surrounding Mediterranean cultures. Since then I have begun searching for affordable dolls, miniatures, models, figurines, mosaic kits, jewelry, and art featuring ancient themes.

No comments: